The number of pictures taken of the Grateful Dead can be mathematically expressed as ∞-1. However, there weren’t that many actual photo shoots, where the whole band (whomever that applied to at the time) congregated and maybe even showered for the occasion.
Using the principles and practices of Without Research, let’s see how many I can get. Point out my mistakes, omissions, and character flaws in the Comment Section.
- The one from ’77 where Phil wears a tie that I just posted about.
- In front of the Holiday Inn where Brent wears the doofus hat.
- ’76 in the park: Mickey in cocaine hat, Phil in headband.
- Outside on the deck in 1971 or ’72 with Keith and Pig, but no Mrs. Donna Jean.
- With Dylan.
- Baron Wolman inside with the big flag.
- First (?) photo shoot in the street with the light bouncing off their faces.
- Phil with Fu Manchu, Garcia in pigtails; at the Portero and thereabouts in black and white.
- Also ’67 or ’68: old-fashioned barber’s/dentist’s chair.
- Cover shot for Go To Heaven (which there must be more pictures from besides the two floating around the innertubes, and I demand that someone send to me).
- The one with Vince where Phil wears a tie-dyed Izod shirt.
- Sometime in the 80’s and Bobby has a rose for some reason.
- The one from around In the Dark that split up into duet photos.
Wow, that is actually not a lot. Every other band–literally every single other band in the history of bands–submits to full group photo shoots for every new project.
Goddamned recalcitrant malcontents