It is 2016, as we’re so often reminded, and people are now allowed to be named LoloYodel; what’s more, said Yodels are furthermore permitted to make supercuts of all the Grateful Dead’s tuning songs, band introductions, bad jokes, and stage banter (from a ’64 Mother McCree’s Jug Band tape to 1989) and post it to YouTube. What a world.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to listen, then here’s a quick rundown:
- Ten or twelve renditions of Take A Step Back, half of which had musical accompaniment, which in hindsight seems a bit self-defeating.
- One rendition of Take A Step Inward that Bobby gave after attending an Esalen seminar.
- Bobby lying about the drummers’ birthdays.
- Bill Graham’s semi-veiled hostility.
- Phil’s blatant hostility.
- John Scher’s adenoids.
- That show in ’82 when Bobby started yelling “OMAHA! OMAHA!” before all the songs until Mickey tackled him.
- 6/1/87: Brent performs the St. Crispin’s Day speech. (“We few, we heady few…”)
- Bobby’s deer joke.
- Bobby’s bee joke.
- Bobby’s dog joke.
- Bobby’s other dog joke. (I didn’t realize this before, but Bobby loves animal-related humor.)
And, of course, Billy’s jokes; I will not repeat them in whole out of fear of being sent to the Problem Attic without supper, but I can reprint some of the punchlines without context:
- I put pee-pee in your Coke.
- Velcro on the ceiling.
- To keep her ears warm.
- You’re scared? I gotta walk out of here alone.”