If you’re in New York and looking for the kind of rock and roll thrill that can only be found while quietly looking at a dead guy’s junk, then go see Lou Reed’s archives. The New York Public Library recently acquired them from Laurie Anderson–she called Bobby to see if he was interested, but he pretended to not remember her–and will be exhibiting selection at the main branch. (The one from the beginning of Ghostbusters.) There are hundreds of libraries in the NYPL system, so having your event in the building with the lions is an honor. Congratulations to Laurie and the Reeds, and also once again to Phil and Jill.
What might you see?
- Napkin with “Sweet
Ann Francine NancyJane” scribbled on it.
- More empty pill bottles than you’ve ever seen in your life.
- Receipt for box full of human feces he mailed to Lester Bangs.
- Complete collection of mint-condition issues of Outside magazine.
- Several white wigs that Andy Warhol thought he had lost.
- Owner’s manual to 1984 Honda scooter.
- Bunch of Sovereign Citizen books that Mo Tucker sent him.
- Letter from Martin Scorsese about how Johnny Depp should star in a movie adaptation of Lou’s 1989 album, New York, called Dirty Boulevard. (All of that is completely true because of fucking course Johnny Depp is involved.)
- Polaroids of Iggy Pop’s dick.
- Members Only jacket, tan.
- Surprisingly large collection of memorabilia from Charles and Di’s wedding.
- The world’s only Doug Yule tee-shirt. (Lou had it made special just to be a dick.)