You all know Mr. Completely. He used to prowl the streets of Portland as their very own crime-fighter, the Tree Octopus, but he gave up the vigilante game after spraining his hectocotylus one too many times, and now he putters about the house drinking gin at noon and firing off warning shots at bad dreams. He’s a Friend of the Blog.
Anyway, he was the one to hip me, and therefore you, to Wild Wild Country, the Netflix documentary about the Rajneeshee cult up in in Oregon, and now he’s the first one to turn on it, and rightly so: it was a well-painted car with no engine, no guts to it, there was no there there. Just a handful of talkative Baby Boomers defending their actions and subject to no challenge at all, which I suppose the filmmakers thought would read as an Errol Morris take, but the thing about Errol Morris movies is that he’s right on the other side of the camera asking unpleasant questions. He doesn’t just let a woman convicted of multiple felonies in multiple countries write off her actions to religious devotion.
So: if you wanna know the real story–including the most important question: where the fuck did all the money come from?–then here is your reading list:
- Les Saitz’s 20-part series from the Oregonian that covers everything from soup to nuts to 93 fucking Rolls Royces.
- Excerpts from Win McCormack’s book The Rajneesh Chronicles, originally published in Oregon magazine in 1983.
Or–and I think this is the best option–you could say “Fuck it” and buy a tee-shirt:
This high-quality garment was conceived in the U.S.A. and made in some shithole for you, the First World lottery winner. Why should you buy this shirt? Here’s 16 reasons:
- You’d be buying it from Amazon, and that would make Basketball Head angry.
- All the words are spelled right.
- Doubles as a tourniquet.
- Brother and Sister-in-Law on the Dead made it, so your purchase helps feed and clothe Nephew on the Dead.
- Conversely, you not buying the shirt is taking food directly from a baby’s mouth.
- And not just any baby.
- This one:
- Can you live with yourself starving Nephew on the Dead?
- If that’s the kind of person you are, then maybe I’ve misled myself about this site.
- Maybe we’re Stormfront.
- Is that who we are as a community?
- You tell me, Enthusiasts.
- Buy a shirt or we’re all Nazis.
- Even the kid.
- Your non-purchase of a tee-shirt makes NotD a Baby Nazi.
- How dare you make my beloved nephew a Baby Nazi, you motherfuckers.
Can you please not call your nephew a Baby Nazi?
- I didn’t! I was conjecturing. It was a what-if and…oh, look what you did. We’re back to one. You fucked up the formatting.
Good. You’re a monster and you deserve to be improperly numbered.
- Fuck you.
- Botd and SiLotD are not going to be happy with this plug.
They knew who they were asking for a favor.